Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Cozy Recipe: Almond Biscotti

The holidays have officially come and gone.  I'm happy and sad.  2010 was a strange year for me.  I certainly didn't end it in the same position I started it.  I'm planning on 2011 being a fabulous year!  I look forward to new experiences this year.  One of my resolutions for the new year is to cook more ... to try lots of new recipes!  Here is a new one I've found and really enjoy.  I think this (and variations) will definitely be staples in my home from now on.

During Christmas, I was searching for a diabetic recipe.  Several of our family members are diabetic, so I didn't want to only take super sweet foods.  I came across this delicious biscotti recipe on dlife.com.  I've tried biscotti in the past, and I can't say I was a huge fan.  However, after trying it with my coffee, I decided it is something I should make more often.  Using the Splenda and whole grain flour adds a certain element of healthiness too, don't you think?  I want to start keeping some in a canister so I can grab a couple on my way out the door.  Coffee and biscotti ... such an easy breakfast.  Why didn't I do this before?  I'm planning on adding dried cranberries to my next batch.  Yummy!




Almond Biscotti
1/4 cup slivered almonds, finely chopped
1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
2 T. margarine (trans-fat free)
4 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 t. almond extract
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a small baking pan, bake the almonds for 7-8 minutes or until the almonds are golden brown.  Watch carefully to avoid burning.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix sugar and margarine with mixer at medium speed until smooth.  Add egg whites and almond extract.  Mix well.

In another large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt until well blended.

Add egg white mixture and chopped almonds to the flour mixture and mix well.

Spray two 9x5 loaf pans.  Split the dough in half and spread it evenly into the hands.  Wet your fingertips to make this easier.

Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Remove pans and turn dough over onto a cutting board.  When it is cool enough to handle, cut across loaves in 1/2 inch strips.

On a cookie sheet, lay each slice on its side.  Bake for an additional 5 minutes on each side.  Store in an airtight container.

This recipe is linked up at...
linkparty

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...