Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Cozy Recipe: Spiced Cranberry Sauce

This year I decided to try making my own cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving.  I was so pleased with the response that I made it again for Christmas.  I originally found this recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens website.  I think it may be a new tradition for me!  This recipe uses the perfect blend of Pinot Noir, cinnamon sticks, and cranberries.  It is delicious!


Spiced Cranberry Sauce
1 cup Pinot Noir wine (or 3/4 cup grape juice and 1/4 cup red wine vinegar)
1 cup sugar
1 bay leaf
1 3-4 inch cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups fresh cranberries (1 bag)

In a medium saucepan, combine the wine, sugar, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and salt.  Bring to boiling.  Add cranberries.  Bring to boiling again.  Reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.  Cool to room temperature (about 2 hours).  Remove and discard the bay leaf and cinnamon stick.  This recipe is enough to serve a large family dinner.  If needed, you can prepare the sauce ahead of time and refrigerate it for up to five days.  However, I suggest making this with your family in the house with you.  It smells wonderful and makes the house smell so cozy!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh that sounds good! I might have to try it for our christmas dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE cranberry sauce! Just wanted to let you know that I am starting a new weekly linky party on Jan 7th called Fun w/ Food Friday. If you have time, I would LOVE for you to come link up some of your delicious recipes!

    http://www.paisleypassions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...